I wasn’t able to find any source online talking about the game’s damage mechanics. Here are some of the lesser known ones for Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent.
Warning: These values could be wrong or subject to change, but I’ll update them as I collect more information.
- Crit: Approximately 25% more damage. Only physical (weapon-type) attacks can crit. Elemental attacks cannot.
- Physical/Elemental DEF buffs/debuffs: Any damaging skills that apply these buffs/debuff do not benefit from itself until after the fact. E.g a 200% power skill that debuffs enemy’s PDEF by 20% does not receive the benefit of the 20% debuff on the same turn.
- Weakness: 250% more damage.
- Break: 200% more damage when you break enemy shield counter.
- Bleed/Poison: Deals minor damage for a specified number of turns. The damage is pretty negligible, but some units receive buffs when they attack enemies that have Bleed/Poison status. Bleed is Physical damage, and Poison is Elemental damage.
- Counter: Unit attacks with their weapon or elemental attack. Can remove shield points.
- Healing: Scales off of EATK and unit’s Max HP.
- Buffs/Debuffs of the same type stack additively, up to a limit of 30%.
I wrote an ultimate guide to buffs/debuffs here.
The ultimate guide to EXP Cait farming in Octopath Travelers:...
Unit Stats Index with end game weapons and gears for...
The full and clickable world map for Octopath Traveler: Champions...
The complete guide for clearing each stage of the Tikilen...