Tier List Overview of Roland #In my tier list of all units by roles, Roland scores S+ in the Debuffer category. He is future-proof for Spear DPS teams with his plethora of Spear Res/PDEF debuffs and damage. I can’t see him being powercrept even a year from now. His DPS is exceptional, and his 5-hit Spear AOE will make short work of enemy shields. Long term (e.g 6 months from now), Roland’s best role is your main debuffer for Spear DPS teams. Short term, Roland can juggle between main DPS and debuffer. Stats Comparison
Explanation of Passives and Skills #
- When switching to Front Row: Grant Self Phys. Atk. Up 15% and Opportune Attack (turns: 1).
- Opportune Attack: Raise all damage dealt by 15% and raise attack count of some skills by 1
- When unleashing any attack, have a high chance (~75%) to lower enemies’ Spear Res. by 15% (turns: 2).
- Any attack = basic attacks, spear and lightning skills that deal damage, and ultimate. Each individual hit has a high chance to proc Spear Res debuff. E.g a 4-hit Spear attack can theoretically debuff the enemy for 8 turns.
- 5* skill: 4-hit Spear damage to All Foes. With Opportune Attack: Raise attack count by 1.
- At max boost and with Opportune Attack, this skill hits 5×110 for 550 potency. It is the 2nd strongest damaging AOE spear attack, only behind Krauser, who requires a 1 turn setup to pull off.
- This skill can debuff all enemies on the field for 9 turns of Spear Res down.
- 5* skill: 1-hit Spear damage to Single Foe, 1 extra hit if Opportune Attack is active.
- At max boost, this skill hits 2×450 for 900 potency. It is the 3rd strongest damaging skill in the game but the strongest skill with zero set up required.
- This can easily ram the damage cap against an enemy weak to Spear and during Break.
- 2* skill: 1-hit Spear to All Foes and lower Phys. Def. and Spear Res. by 10% (turns: 2). Afterwards, move to the Back Row (this does not proc Opportune Attack). With Opportune Attack: Raise attack count by 1.
- This skill is so important for maintaining uptime on his Opportune Attack passive.
- Is useful for debuffing multiple enemies (remember, his 15% Spear Res debuff passive can also proc here) and keeping him alive.
- Has several unique synergies with row partner. This will be discussed in the Skill Rotation section.
- 1* Skill: Impart Single Foe with Phys. Def. Down 20% and lower Spear Res. by 20% (turns: 2-5 based on Boost Lv.). *Can be used 3 times per battle. Cost 1 SP only.
- Nothing like a 1* skill to solidify his status as the GOAT debuffer for Spear teams. Enables rest of the team to do so much F-ing damage.
- 4/5-hit 5* Spear AOE ALWAYS
- Single target 1* PDEF/Spear Res debuff usually
- Your last skill is situational: Either 2* switch row or his 5* spear nuke skill
- Lower Spear Res. of Single Foe by 15%→20% (turns: 2) and then deal 4-hit Spear (potency: 4×105→4×125).
- This is the strongest source of Spear res debuff from ultimates in the game
- Best used on a turn before a break or to initiate a break
Skill Rotations #This section will talk about Roland’s skill rotations before and during an enemy Break. It is assumed you’re equipped with Kurtz’s A4 accessory (boost durations of debuffs casted by Self by 1 turn). It also assumes you only have access to 3 skills. Rotation 1 (Debuffer Role):
Any boost 1* Skill Debuff -> Ultimate (break) -> Max Boost 4-hit AOE
Lv 2 Boost 1* Skill Debuff -> Ultimate -> 2* Switch Row (break) -> Max Boost 2-hit NukeThis is a longer skill rotation where you take advantage of the debuff duration from Kurtz’s A4 to maximize damage dealt to the enemy by Roland. 2* skill (aka “Rush”) enables Roland to switch rows and ram the damage cap 2 x 99,999 on the following turn with all these debuffs. Rotation 3 (Row Partner):
Lv 2 Boost 1* Skill Debuff -> Ultimate -> Switch with Partner (break) -> Max Boost 2-hit NukeThis rotation lets you bring in a partner, who’s job might be to break, provide support or auxiliary damage. Who are the top row partners for Roland in Rotation 3?
- Alfyn: Switches in to provide BP to the rest of your team during initial enemy break turn. Then on the following turn, Roland + rest of your team comes in with Max Boosted nukes.
- Tithi: Switches in to grant AOE PATK/EATK/Crit AND restore BP by 1. Similar story as Alfyn, in fact better with the right set up.
- Lynette/Eleonora: Switches in to provide passive and active AOE PATK buffs to the rest of your team.
- Hayes: He has the ultra rare PDEF debuff passive if he is the one breaking the enemy; assumes enemy is weak to Axe or Fire.
- Solon: In the future, he is one of the best partner for Roland because he can switch in and break the enemy to apply several debuffs. Even better, if Solon has his ultimate ready, he should use this on your best multi-hit Spear DPS like Leon, and maybe W’ludai.
- Other: Any speedy unit that can break the enemy.
- 100 PATK, 40 SPD
- When switching to Front Row: Increase Phys. Atk. by 15% and Spear DMG by 15% (turns: 1)
Best Accessories #This section assumes you’re a F2p/Light Spender.
- Kurtz’s A4: 1 extra turn debuff duration is immensely useful for Roland’s Ultimate skill and enables several powerful rotations
- HP Regen, especially Helga’s A4: Kurtz’s A4 only activates when unit is at full HP
- Yan Long’s A4: When breaking enemy, passive debuff 10% PDEF
- Spear DMG accessories like Barrad’s A4
Best Weapon Set Up #
- Fortune Weapon: Go full PATK.
- Hell Weapon: Go full DMG to Hellfiends and PATK 2nd
- Best Soul: 15% DMG Up on his 4-hit AOE skill.
Firepower #This table shows the top 20 standalone skill damage from Spear attacks at max level with perfect Fortune weapons. Krauser is at the top of the rankings, but keep in mind he takes one turn to set up. Roland, who is 3rd, requires no set up. In general, the firepower that Roland can dish out is world class.
Team Comps #
- Pia can AOE active Spear Res debuff, complimenting Roland’s
- Alfyn/Tithi for BP or buffs
- Lynette/Eleonora for buffs
- Richard for his Spear damage buffs from passive, skill and ultimate
- Any Spear unit: Krauser, W’ludai, Olberic, Dorothy, Nona, Cardona
- In the future, Solon and Leon
- Find other companions via the Buff/Debuff finder tool
- Another useful resource is the recruitable allies table for multi-hit shield shaving and attack buffs
End Game Content Usage #The following end game content npcs are weak to Spear:
- The 2 extras in the Tikilen fight
- Yan Long
- Some part of the Largo fight
- Bladed Wing Master
- Hardy Dual Wielder
- Merchant Job Tower
A1 vs U10? #Assuming you’re F2p/Light Spender and is lucky enough to get a 2nd copy of him, you’ll want to U10 instead of A1. This is because his value as a debuffer and DPS enabler for spear team is more future proof than his role as a Spear DPS. But A1 isn’t a bad choice at all, especially if Roland is your main/only spear DPS.
Cyrus is COTC community's most desired and hyped unit of...
Therion's BFF. Falco comes equipped with strong supportive buffs, debuffs...
Roland's best skills, team comps, and break rotations for Octopath...
SQEX accidentally released a Therese teaser on YouTube before hiding...